When it comes to the wedding reception, there are a few things the guests look forward to (and will talk about after the wedding day!). The music, the cake and the dinner! These days, many of you brides and grooms out there are embracing the eco-friendly trend in choosing your wedding menus, serving up dishes that reflect your tastes in both food and helping the planet. So if you’re interested in an eco-conscious menu but aren’t exactly sure what that even means, here are a few ingredients to creating a green and delicious wedding reception dinner!
- Farm to Table Farm to table food is a movement that supports locally grown foods, and can be a fab idea for your wedding day. Why go to all the pollution of flying in foods from around the country when you can serve foods grown right in your hometown? The ingredients in your dishes will not only be fresher, but will reflect the area where you are having your wedding, bringing in some local flair. Having a wedding in Georgia? Serve up some Vidalia onions and Georgia peaches! Having a wedding on the coast? Go for some fresh, mouth-watering seafood straight from the harbor! There are even wedding venues that have their own farms to make the farm to table option even easier to add to the menu.
- Sustainable Foods When you’re choosing your wedding foods, you also want to think about endangered species. This is especially true when it comes to fish. Many species of fish are currently on the endangered species list as a result of being overfished, yet there are also many delicious fishies out there that are a-ok to eat. So, if you have your mind set on going green, opt for a sustainable fish choice for your wedding dinner.
- Free Range A big concern for finding eco-friendly wedding food is finding meat or eggs that come from farms where the animals are raised in respectable conditions, sometimes known as ethical omnivorism. If the thought of caged chickens makes you furrow your brow in consternation, you’ll probably want to make an eco-conscious choice with chicken or eggs that are raised free range. When choosing your caterer, make sure to ask them if they serve free range meat, as not all caterers offer this option.
- Organic We’ve all heard about organic foods by now, where the foods are not treated with pesticides or man-made chemicals, which in turn makes them healthier for humans to consume. But organic isn’t just a buzz word thrown around by the health nuttiest among us! Organic fruits and veggies can make a great choice for your wedding food, especially if they’re locally grown – but, you will have to consider your wedding budget. These foods may be better for you, but they will cost you more to serve than fruits and veggies that aren’t organic. It’s all about what’s important to you and reflecting that on your plates!
- Eco-Friendly Favors Don’t just limit your eco-conscious food tendencies to the wedding day – share the green love with all of your guests with eco-friendly wedding favors! A great idea? Give out adorable eco-friendly cheese plates made out of bamboo with a mini wedge of cheese (that comes from free range cows!).